Sunday, March 23, 2008

Headed Back out.....

Well we got a little break this weekend. It was a 3 day weekend because of the Easter Holiday. So there was a little time to regather my thoughts and waste some time. My wife, son and father flew down for a quick dinner on Sunday, I wasn't expecting all of them so that was a plesent suprise to me. After dinner they had to jump back in the plane and fly back quickly but it was still nice to see all of them.

Last week we were doing "Squad Lanes" where we do squad level exercises. The mostly consisted of setting up and ambush or "react to contact" where we run up on the enemy and manuver around them for the superior position. These were evaulated leadership positions, there was one evaluation for the planning phase and one for the execution phase. There is more to the planning than first comes to mind, and that is in the briefing. The Army has a specific format for how the types of briefs are given, called the Operations Order. Failure to follow this specific format resulted in a quick no-go. I was lucky and got both of my evaluations on the first day and easily passed both with only minor negative comments.

This comming week we are doing more of the same except this time with a platoon, or 3 squads. Since these are much larger operations and we only will do 2-3 a day (as opposed to 6 for the squads) it is unlikely I will have more than one more evaulation since they will need the rest of the time for people who failed the first.

So far this week is not starting off well, no one noticed that the roster for duty ended at midnight so I get to pull an hour of duty an hour before wakeup....

I think I have been woken up every 45 minutes tonight because something has gone wrong and I'm only being a squad leader at this time. If the standard is "all jacked up" we have met that standard.

No comments: